- 16-20 November 2015 : South Africa participates in the First African Light Source Conference and Workshop, held in Grenoble at the ESRF, which aimed to showcase the frontiers of research using light sources, the strong African participation in this type of research, highlighting research questions which are both globally significant and also very important for Africa, determining a Roadmap towards an African Light Source, and instantiating the Steering Committee for the African Light Source to drive this Roadmap.
- 21 May 2013 : South Africa signed a medium-term agreement with the ESRF at a level of 0.3% and, in doing so, became the 20th country to join the European synchrotron. NRF press release, ESRF press release, M&G atricle.
- February 2012 : Article by Sekazi Mtingwa "Synchrotron Science on the move in South Africa" in the APS Forum on International Physics Spring Newsletter
- 13 January 2012 : The "Strategic Plan for Synchrotron Science in SA" is complete. It is not yet a public document, but requests to the SRRIC Chair, Tshepo Ntsoane (tshepo.ntsoane at necsa.co.za), will be considered
- 1-2 December 2011 : The "Science @ Synchrotrons - Business Plan and Strategic Plan" Workshop.
Actions and Downloads
- Download the "Strategic Plan for Synchrotron Science in SA", develop from the Dec 2011 National Workshop for SA Scientists at Synchrotrons.
- Download the Report for the "Science at Synchrotrons - 2009" from February 2009
- Join the mailing list for "Science at Synchrotrons in SA"
- Download the Report for the "Series of Four Meetings on Science at Synchrotrons" from February 2007
- Download the "Science at Synchrotrons - Roadmap" from August 2007
- Download the "SA Beamline Feasibility Study" from November 2007
- Download the "User Statistics Questionnaire" from August 2008, due date 30-Aug-08
In Preparation in 2016
- S@S display at ICRI2016 and renewal discussions of the SA-ESRF Scientific Association.
- Activities for Regional Schools in support of Science at Synchrotrons (S@S).
- S@S 2013/4 - event cancelled - not able to obtain support.
- Business Plan for the SA Synchrotron Roadmap - by Sekazi Mtingwa (MIT and ALC) and Bryan Masara (SAIP - EO), residing with the DST / NRF.